Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
November 20th marked the five year anniversary of the Detroit
05-27-2019, 05:26 AM,
November 20th marked the five year anniversary of the Detroit
Sure Preston Tucker Jersey , the big deals are fun, but at what cost?"trading Prince Fielder to the Texas Rangers for Ian Kinsler. This trade feels especially relevant this year, as one of the major reasons Fielder was moved — even when his hefty contract seemed impossible to offload — was due to his comments following the conclusion of the 2013 ALCS against Boston. Fielder made it very clear that baseball was a job, and his job was done for the year. The end. No comment on his fiasco of a belly flop returning to third base. Just a complete check out to start the postseason.Detroit fans were not impressed, and neither was management. The return was four glorious years of watching Ian Kinsler turn double plays with Jose Iglesias, until the 2017 offseason found Kinsler headed to the Angels, and ultimately midseason to the Boston Red Sox.This October, he won a World Series.I don’t bring this up to beat the dead horse of that particular trade. Baseball is a game of moving parts, and those parts are the players on the field. But when the Tigers signed Prince Fielder to a nine-year deal worth $219 million, they were telling the baseball world they would do what it took to win. That year, 2012, they went all the way to the World Series. The next year they went to the ALCS. They did this not solely on Fielder’s shoulders, but he was certainly a cog in the machine. And then the machine broke.This is not a story unique to the Detroit Tigers, but it’s the cautionary tale that every team should be aware of as they mull over deals that might amount to more than $300 million for guys like Bryce Harper and Manny Machado. Is the win-now mentality really worth the long term cost of those bloated deals?When Mike Ilitch was owner of the Tigers, his desire to see the club win a World Series was worth any cost. He signed Fielder, he gave Victor Martinez the contract extension that would hang around the club’s neck like dead weight for four seasons. He was devoted to his players and his franchise in a way that ultimately did not pay off, and now after his death, the team is struggling to find their way back to a place of contention. They have a long way to go, especially while still carrying the contracts of the oft-injured Miguel Cabrera (arguably worth it for his prime years) Zack Greinke Jersey , and Jordan Zimmermann (ouch). Look at the Red Sox, who signed Adrian Gonzalez to a seven-year deal worth $154 million in 2012. They traded him that same season to the Dodgers. The Rockies signed Troy Tulowitzki to a 10-year deal in 2011, and traded him the Blue Jays four years later, where he — like Fielder — has struggled mightily with injuries. Matt Kemp might be my favorite example. The Dodgers signed him to an eight-year contract worth $160 million that extended through 2019. While Kemp might be sporting a Dodgers uniform now, he was traded from the Dodgers to the Padres, and then to the Braves, and then back to the Dodgers in that span. Then there are the teams that spent, and didn’t trade, but might be regretting it now. The Seattle Mariners traded James Paxton just this week to the New York Yankees, but still on their roster is Felix Hernandez, who the team signed to a $175 million seven-year deal in 2013. In 2018, he was moved to the bullpen due to his flagging performance. Hernandez and fellow big ticket item, Robinson Cano, may form a two-sided cautionary tale for years to come in Seattle.Now, this isn’t to say that blockbuster contracts are always a bad move. The Nationals signed Max Scherzer to a seven-year $210 million deal that might end up being the blueprint for how other teams manage monster deals, as the contract is being paid out over 14 years — seven years longer than he will be with the club. He has been worth every penny of that deal thusfar. Likewise, the Dodgers are clearly not bemoaning the $215 million seven-year deal they signed with Clayton Kershaw, because after he opted out earlier this offseason, they signed him to a new $93 million three-year contract. The Giants have won three World Series championships with Buster Posey behind the dish http://www.diamondbacksfanproshop.com/au...nke-jersey , so they’re unlikely to regret his nine-year $167 million contract. A lot of folks were unhappy with the David Price seven-year deal the Red Sox signed in 2015, but Price has a World Series ring now. So does Jon Lester who signed a $155 million six-year deal with the Cubs (Lester actually has three rings, but who’s counting?).Still, teams should be wary of long-term contracts for short-term wins. Yes, there is excitement in landing a Harper or a Machado. Do they help your team’s chances of a World Series win? Maybe. But the Nationals had Harper in his prime, and an absolutely dominant Max Scherzer, and they haven’t been able to get to a World Series. The Orioles made it to the 2014 ALCS, but not further. Machado helped the Dodgers in the 2018 postseason, but once again the Los Angeles behemoth could not get Clayton Kershaw his ring.No one player is the difference between a win and a loss. But one bad contract can haunt a team for a decade. GLENDALE, Ariz. (AP) — Ivan Nova didn’t expect to be traded last offseason. But now that he’s with the Chicago White Sox, he knows where he fits into the team’s plans — to make 30 starts and be a mentor, if needed.“If I’ve got to approach somebody, I’ll do it my way,” Nova said Wednesday at White Sox camp.“I’m not a type of guy that’s going to step up in front of everybody and say something. I don’t like to get involved in anyone’s personal space. But if I’ve got to say something to someone, I’m going to grab them aside and do it that way,” he said.Nova’s way on the mound has been throwing strikes and getting ahead of hitters. The 32-year-old right-hander was acquired from Pittsburgh after going 9-9 with a 4.19 ERA in 29 starts last season for the Pirates. The White Sox gave up a prospect and some international slot money to get a pitcher they hope can fill the veteran starter role that James Shields held the last few years.“It’s a good thing that teams out there still want you,” Nova said. “It’s way different when nobody wants you. It’s surprising, especially after the type of meeting you have with the organization where you think you’re going to stay there one more year, and then you find out they trade you.”The Pirates are embarking on a rebuilding program Randy Johnson Jersey , while the White Sox enter the third year of their teardown with hopes of beginning the climb back to contention.Nova joins Reynaldo Lopez, Carlos Rodon and Lucas Giolito in the first four slots of the White Sox rotation.“I’m looking forward to watching him throw and talking to him,” Giolito said. “He’s a strike-thrower. That’s what we need to do as a starting staff, fill up the zone.”“Having someone to keep us grounded and guide us in the right direction. We (young pitchers) can be all over the place sometimes,” he said.Manager Rick Renteria remembers when Nova was one of those young pitchers. A decade ago, Renteria was a coach with the San Diego Padres, who took Nova in the Rule 5 draft from the Yankees. The Padres didn’t keep him past spring training, though, and Nova returned to New York’s roster.“He’s a professional,” Renteria said. “He brings in experience and the ability to communicate with everybody across the board. He can keep us in ballgames.”Nova likes what he sees in the early days of spring training as he gets familiar with his new teammates.“I think we’ve got a lot of talent, good enough to compete. That’s what I see. I see that in the faces of these guys. They’re hungry, they want to win. I know they’re young, but they have big expectations,” he said.And helping them meet those expectations is something Nova sees as his responsibility.“You can’t be shy. You’ve got to be yourself. I’m probably new for a lot of these guys, but there are other guys I’ve seen in the past from playing against each other. So it’s not difficult,” he said.
06-02-2019, 03:46 PM,
RE: November 20th marked the five year anniversary of the Detroit
March 8, shoe net news, is about to cheap christian louboutin shoes enter cheap jordan shoes the Yangchun March, cheap christian louboutin already want to take off the nike factory store heavy winter adidas originals clothes? christian louboutin shoes air max Easy nike shoes and witty stripes blow cheap christian louboutin shoes the unique fashion of red bottom shoes spring and summer jordan 11 nike air max season, sweep away the haze for you, bring inexplicable red bottom heels joy. under armour boots Don't ignore its charm, low-key and gorgeous feeling let you nike store wear cheap christian louboutin shoes the fresh feeling nike outlet of early jordan 11 spring. Smart and lovely air max christian louboutin shoes striped dress, nike factory outlet refreshing adidas nmd tone, red bottom heels christian louboutin shoes let people feel better, A-shaped cheap jordans stitching skirt appears to have slender legs, air max Necklace decoration on the nike air max neck adds a lady's jordan 11 red bottom heels flavor. Leisure and nike factory outlet refreshing striped adidas yeezy dress, sleeve design, nike outlet store nike roshe run red bottom shoes unlimited shoulder nike factory store width, the red bottom shoes overall version is loose, and cheap christian louboutin pocket configuration, leisure nike roshe run and practical, nike factory outlet with sports cheap christian louboutin air max shoes, red bottom shoes full adidas stan smith of charm (franchise) power. adidas superstar Simple and nike factory outlet nike outlet clean leisure stripe red bottom shoes T, air max matched with the charm christian louboutin sale of adidas yeezy lace leisure adidas nmd shorts, christian louboutin sale shows the full femininity, lovely and lady charm. red bottom heels